Thursday, March 24, 2011

Another new beginning...

Finding the courage to take a bull by its horns begins by having balls the size of a bull. If only Walmart sells bull size balls, then maybe I'll skip work and possibly stand in line for four hours. Hell, even if bull balls can be germinated in 4 to 6 weeks with sunlight and water, knowing that I finally have bull-sized balls, the ability to be fearless, is priceless. My past mentality was limited to being paralyzed due to over thinking.

The 9-1-1 Buddhist within is telling me that the past is behind me, today is new day, a new day to be the best person I can be. When obstacles are in the way, I need to remember each obstacle is to teach me a life lesson and not give up.

For the longest time, writing a journal was an eschew.  I would rather scrape barnacles on a pier or shave Chewbacca's chest hair than to express my thoughts in a journal. There's a couple reasons why I am inputting my thoughts is so I can...
1. become a better communicator, being able to converse and connect to another person.
2. record my experiences, to reflect.
3. expand my lexicon (many thanks to word of the day, and today's word of the day was eschew)
4. to know myself as a person.


Tonight's talk with Terry reminded me of  Goodbye to Shy, a self-help book written by Leil Lowndes. I bought this book so I can initiate and maintain conversations with other individuals.  Appendix B has 100 self-knowledge questions which I have every intention of answering. Hopefully, I will not be eschewing these questions.

Question 1: What is an ideal relationship to me?
Regardless of gender, my ideal relationship would be a person who can initiate and carry a conversation, a positive individual, an open-minded and goal oriented person, a person whom I can goof around with, a person who is adventurous (whether its trying new restaurants or going on a hike), a person who is honest/loyal, a person who tolerates my craziness, a person who is educated (not necessary formal education) but a person who believes education is ongoing and has minimal discrimination toward the human race. It's like the Chinese proverb, "only the educated are free from discrimination."  Basically, it all comes down to chemistry.

When friends ask me about the ideal girl, I tell them what was previously mentioned and they think its demanding and that I have this checklist that I use to screen relationships. How is that different from their own ideal relationship, everybody sets expectations for those they want to be surrounded with.

Sigh. God, Buddha, Zeus bless hypocrisy. 
Human hypocrisy at its finest. What gets me is how teachers are one of the biggest hypocrites. A overgeneralized statement based on my own life experiences. Teachers stress the importance of reading, writing, physical education, recycling, and their belief on learning.

It gets to me how teachers want students to be life-long learners but they themselves do not take action to become proactive learners. Once they earned their credential, many teachers feel like they learned everything but in fact, learning is everywhere and ongoing. The day an individual stops learning is the day the individual dies.  Confucious once said, To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge.  

I'm guilty of being in a hypocrite, hopefully keeping an ongoing journal will decrease my status from full time hypocrite to part time hypocrite. Stay tuned for another new beginning....

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful. I share many of your views. BTW, you're much more colorful when you write than when you speak. Hence, another reason to write regularly to become a better speaker. Life is a series of exercises so you can learn and grow as a person. Hopefully, this journal will be your calisthenics to strengthen you belief and your life. Keep up the good work. Remember, this journal is a discipline. Hopefully, you can keep at it.

    ReplyDelete