Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Working with kids, being able to go with the flow and adapt to any situation is essential.
 One of my greatest teachers is a boy named Joel Henry.  Joel is a seven year old boy diagnosed with Autism who enjoys Super Mario Brothers and computer time.  During class, my other students were working, Joel has a tendency to refuse to do work.  He would walk around and said that he does not want to do any work and would walk around the classroom. With my behavioral therapy experience, I wanted him to comply to me so I  offered incentives for doing work.  I asked if he wanted to have computer time or color a coloring book with Mario and Luigi.  He complied and said he wanted to color, so then I told him that he needs to get some work done.  He continued to walk around and refused to do work, so then I asked if he wants to wear the Mario hat that I purchased for him and in return, he jumped up with excitement.  I told him, "Let's work for it." He refused so I told him in my harsh voice that he will not get computer time when we go to the computer lab. The bell rang, it was time for computer time, so my kids lined up. To follow through with Joel, I took his work with us.  When we were at the computer lab, he decided to go under neath the table so I went under the table sat next to him.  I then asked him if he wants to color Mario, he finally complied and did his work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment