Thursday, April 5, 2012

A new hobby.

So far all my hobbies including scuba diving, snowboarding, and shooting, all of which are fun and requires a bit of money, another hobby I am going to include will be hydroponic gardening.  I had this idea in mind a couple years ago but haven't put in much thought until recently I noticed my diet consist of meat, and lots of meat.  The seed in my mind, it will be fertilized as I continue to research about it.  I am hoping sometime around June, I can start with this hobby.

Pros:
  • I will have vegetables to eat.
  • Since I am growing vegetables myself, I would not have to spend as much on vegetables at the supermarkets. (I have to research the cost of vegetables at the store, the time it takes to for the vegetables to sprout/germinate)
  • This hobby will be a lifestyle change: Being more nurturing and hopefully more patient, in addition to something passionate outside of work. (for a time being, once I'm proficient and have the funds for it, I might just set one up in the classroom, after I make a pros and cons for setting a garden in the classroom).
  • I have space in my dining area.
Cons:
  • The vegetables eaten, not sure if it is enough for me to eat.
  • It is costly. So far, the herb garden starter kit found on overstock.com: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Culinary-Herb-Garden-Starter-Kit-Mini-Garden-Stacker-Planter/4433311/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&kw={keyword}&adtype=pla  is about $64.79. I would hate to imagine the cost of hydroponic gardening... the growing bed and nutrient reservoir. 
  • Time, it requires a lot of time.
  • There might not be enough lighting for the plants.
  • A lot of maintenance.
  • Not sure if I can set up an indoor garden in the apartment, must refer to leasing agreements (could be a potential fire hazard).
While creating a pros and cons list, found this online: http://www.guide2hydroponics.com/about-hydroponics/pros-and-cons.aspx

My goal for today:
1. read http://www.hydroponicvegetablegardening.com/HVGBasics.htm
2. figure out which plants I can plant.
3. refer to leasing agreements.

My goal for Friday:
1. watch 3 hydroponic videos and write what I learned.
2. Figure out the materials, and costs

No comments:

Post a Comment